dimanche 8 septembre 2013

Serpentine Gallery Pavilion Hyde Park


"It is a really fundamental question how architecture is different from nature, or how architecture could be part of nature, or how they could be merged...what are the boundaries between nature and artificial things."  Sou Fujimoto 

I think this quote from Fujimoto well illustrates his work. We can totally see how this pavilion tries to be integrated in the environment how the architect tries to make it almost invisible. 
When you are really close to the building you can see through, you can see what surrounds it. It is part of the nature because at any moment you don't feel confined somewhere. Even when entering the pavilion you still feel like you've never left the park, the grass, the sky, you can ear the wind, the sound of people around..  
But in the same time when you step back, you can see that it is an actual building, something created my human and different from nature. I think this is how Fujimoto illustrates the boundaries he was talking about. No matter how close to nature a building can be, it will always be something artificial, ephemeral and part of the environment without being completely integrated in. 


I think this pavilion is well integrated in its epoch, where questions about environment and sustainability are on everyone's mouth. It is a perfect place for people who want to enjoy a nice day at the park. You can have a drink or eat something in the cafeteria, you can seat and enjoy the sun, you can climb the building and see the surrounding nature. It really gives the opportunity to think about the nature is beautiful and how you need to protect it. 




I've been really amazed by Sou Fujimoto's work. Architecture is something that interests me so much, and how it created his building is exactly how architecture should be for me. I love walking in the city and looking up to look at constructions. I feel so well and relaxed when these constructions are integrated in the nature, when buildings' size are not blocking the scenery, when they are painted in a natural and clean color, when there are lots of windows and glass...  
I'm sure Fujimoto will inspire me so much in the future, if I choose to pursue my studies into Architecture. 






Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire